Are you someone that enjoys cooking? If so, you’d definitely want to invest in a good quality knife sharpening kit. As you use your knives over time, it’s normal for them to become dull – losing their sharpness and precision. To keep them sharp and ready for use, a knife sharpening kit is an absolute best.
When it comes to investing in the best knife sharpening kit for your kitchen, however, where do you start? Below, we’ve got a detailed review of some of the best knife sharpening kits in the market. We’ll also talk about the different types of knife sharpening systems and answer some frequently asked questions.
Types of Knife Sharpening Kits
There are many different types of knife sharpening kits to choose from, and you’d want to go with the one that best suits your needs. Below, we’ll talk about each of them in more detail.
These are the easiest to use and are great if you’re looking for something quick and efficient. All you’ve got to do is plug your electric knife sharpener in, and you’re good to go. Just insert your knife through the slots, and it’ll go ahead and sharpen it in accordance with your preferred sharpness. Most electric sharpeners also come with a guide to ensure that you’re getting a perfect angle.
These are also incredibly popular in ensuring that your knives are nice and sharp. Most sharpening stones come in various grit sizes, and there are different types from natural stones to oil stones.
These are similar to electric sharpeners, but they don’t have as many slots. Since they won’t require electricity to operate, you can also take them with you when you’re on the go. With handheld sharpeners, you’ll usually use them by drawing the knife through a slot of drawing them down to the knife’s blade.
This is the most commonly used knife sharpening system. There are three different types of sharpening stones – Arkansas, India and Crystolon. They’re all made of different materials and are meant for various uses. India stone sharpeners, for example, are made of aluminum oxide and are suited for fine sharpening.
These are also relatively common, and there are four types – diamond, regular, combination and ceramic. These are mainly used for honing knives rather than sharpening them.
Serrated Knife Sharpeners
These are highly specialized and are mainly used for knife blades that may have odd shapes – such as bread knives. These sharpeners are fantastic and usually worth the investment as there’s less of a chance of you damaging your knives.
How to properly sharpen your knives
It depends on which type of knife sharpening tool you’re using but below is a step-by-step guide for three of the more popular ones.
For a sharpening stone:
- Place the stone on a towel to ensure that it won’t slip when you’re sharpening your knife.
- Start with the coarser side of the stone facing up.
- Looking at the instructions to determine whether or not your stone requires lubrication.
- Hold the knife down at a 90-degree angle, then move the knife down to a 45-degree angle. Move the knife once more to half of the remaining angle for the appropriate sharpening angle.
- Slowly draw the knife down and across in a smooth motion. Try and do so about five times before flipping to the other side.
For honing steel:
- Start by placing the steel vertically and firmly placing the tip on the counter. Place the heel of the blade against the tip of the steel and point the knife tip slightly upwards. You’ll want the blade to be around a 15-degree angle away from the steel.
- Then, with light pressure, you’d want to slide the blade up and down on the steel.
- You’ll finish by passing the tip of the blade over the bottom of the steel. Repeat this on the other side and get about four to five strokes on each side.
For an electric sharpener:
- Start by taking a look at the manufacturer’s instructions before turning on the sharpener. Then, you’d want to hold the knife securely and pull the blade through the slots.
- Alternate sides to make sure that you’re sharpening both sides of your blade.
For a manual knife sharpener:
- Start by taking a look at the manufacturer’s instructions. Then, you’d want to pull the blade through the chamber, ensuring that the pressure that you use is even. Make sure that you’re sharpening both sides of your blade.
Different types of popular knives
Chef’s Knife – These are usually forged and can be used for virtually all of your cutting tasks in the kitchen. You can cut chicken, chop vegetables, cut fruit, and so much more. Since the chef’s knife is a crucial part of your kitchen knife set, you’ll want to make sure that your knife sharpening kit you choose is compatible with the material, grind and edge angle of your chef knife.
Santoku Knife – This is a Japanese version of the chef’s knife. It’s usually shorter and thinner and can be used for plenty in the kitchen from slicing to mincing. What’s excellent about Santoku knives is that you can cut through soft and tough materials without worrying about the food sticking to it.
Utility Knife – This is a smaller knife that’s usually used for food that’s too small for a chef’s knife. You can’t use it for large items, but it’s excellent for fileting, slicing and even trimming.
Boning Knife – These are used to separate meat from the bone, from fish to meat. They usually come with different blade widths depending on your needs.
Why it’s important to sharpen your knives
There are a few reasons why it’s important to sharpen your knives:
- If you’re someone that enjoys cooking, there’s nothing more frustrating than using a dull knife. By sharpening your knife, you’ll always have a knife that’s sharp and will easily slice through all of your ingredients.
- If you’ve got some expensive knives in your kitchen, sharpening your knife will help with maintaining its quality. Even if you’ve got the finest most durable stainless steel knife, it’ll still wear out after constant use. Sharpening your knife will make sure that your knife is in tiptop condition and you won’t have to purchase new knives anytime soon.
- Sharpening your knives will help with repairing damaged knife edges and points. No longer will you have to purchase new knives, instead go ahead and sharpen your chipped knife edges and bent knife points and you’ll be good to go.
The Best Knife Sharpening Kits
Cubikook Kitchen Knife Sharpener
This particular manual knife sharpener is made with high-quality materials that’ll sharpen your knives with ease. It has diamond dust rods to remove burr, tungsten blades for edge regeneration and ceramic rods that’ll finely hone your knives. It’ll also both sharpen and polish your blades, making them more efficient in the kitchen. Material wise, this particular knife sharpener is made with solid ABS and stainless steel that has been combined to provide a handheld knife sharpener that’s both reliable and durable. For your safety, this particular knife sharpener even comes with a slip-resistant base for extra safety and efficiency.
If you’re new to knife sharpeners, you’ll be happy to know that this particular kit is not difficult to use. It’s relatively straightforward and can even fix damaged blades and restore the quality of your knives to an excellent sharpness level. It’s also compatible with most kitchen knives, and as a bonus, it comes with a lifetime warranty and a hassle-free refund.
- Made with high-quality materials
- Durable construction
- Easy to use
- Compatible with a range of knives
- Needs a few more strokes if your knife is dull
2-in-1 Kitchen Knife Accessories
Another fantastic knife sharpener on the list, this one comes with a three-step knife sharpening system that’ll have your knife all sharp and ready to go in no time at all. The diamond will help with sharpening and straightening damaged blades before the second slot helps with restoring your knife’s V-shape. Finally, the third slot will ensure that your knife has a stunning polish and will look as good as new. The knife kit is also easy to use and comes with an ergonomic blade, to use all you’ve got to do is pull the knife through each of the slots a few times for effective sharpening.
For your safety, this particular purchase even comes with a cut-resistant glove to ensure that you get the protection you need. The base of the knife sharpening kit also comes with a non-slip base so you won’t have to worry about it shifting around. In terms of durability, this knife sharpening kit is made with solid ABS plastic that’s both strong and durable. It’s a great all-round knife sharpening kit that’ll do a great job at keeping your knives sharp and polished.
- Three-step knife sharpening system
- Easy to use
- Comes with a cut-resistant glove
- Non-slip base
- Not compatible with some knives (such as ceramic knives)
Want something that’s easy to use? Purchase this electric knife sharpening kit for your kitchen. It’s perfect for converting your regular household knives into something extra sharp and with high-performance. The diamond abrasives within the kit will help with sharpening both straight edge and serrated blades. It’s also easy to use as the flexible springs within the kit will help with adjusting and controlling the sharpening angle of your knife.
Similar to most knife kits, this one also has a three-stage sharpening system. The first and second stage consists of diamond abrasives that will sharpen and hone the edge while the third stage is a flexible abrasive system that’ll help with polishing and extending the life of your knives. Thanks to the unique technology of this knife kit, it’ll take only about a minute to get your knives nice and sharp. You’ll also get a three-year limited warranty in case you run into any issues.
- Easy to use
- Comes with a three-stage sharpening system
- Takes only about a minute to get your knives sharp
- Has a three-year limited warranty
- Pricier than other knife sharpening kits
Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening
If you’re someone that prefers using a whetstone to sharpen your knives, this is a great addition to your kitchen. With your purchase, you’ll not only get a whetstone, but you’ll also get a bamboo base, a guide along with an instruction manual and ebook with plenty of tips and tricks to get you started. The whetstone is also durable, long-lasting and can be used for all sets of knives from your chef knife to your santoku knife and more.
For your safety, your purchase also comes with a silicone base that’ll ensure that your whetstone doesn’t slip while you’re sharpening it. The guide will also teach you the appropriate angle you’ll have to maintain to sharpen your knife. Thanks to the user-friendly guide, the whetstone isn’t challenging to use, and since the whetstone uses water as its lubricant, you won’t have to purchase any additional expensive oils. You can also take comfort in the fact that your sharpening stone is made with high-quality material that’s used by various culinary professionals.
- You’ll receive a complete set of items with your purchase – including an instruction manual.
- Can be used for all sets of knives
- Comes with a non-slip base
- Uses water as its lubricant
- Some have mentioned that the whetstone is on the small side
Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System
This comprehensive knife sharpening kit has it all. You’ll get a five-stone knife sharpening system with this particular kit, and it’s compatible with plenty from kitchen to even garden knives. Since it comes with different hones, you can take your pick from extra-coarse to an extra-fine ceramic hone – depending on what suits your needs best. While it’s on the heavier side of things – weighing about eight pounds, you can be assured that it’s made with a high-quality polymer that’ll get the job done correctly.
Each of the stones is color-coded, so you know exactly which one you need, and it even comes with finger-grooved holders for a sturdier grip. You’ll also get the honing oil with your purchase, and everything is stored in a carrying case so you can bring it around with no issues at all. By using this knife sharpening kit, it’ll help ensure that your knife has a razor-sharp edge every single time, and it’s great for both beginners and professional users alike.
- Compatible with plenty
- Comes with various hones
- Made with high-quality polymer
- Comes with a case that you can carry around
- Comes with finger-grooved holders
- Some have mentioned that it’s relatively difficult to use
10 Inches Honing Steel Knife Sharpening
If you’re someone that likes to use a honing steel, this is a fantastic one for your kitchen. It has a length of 10-inches and is suited for all types of knives – no matter what you need. Material wise it’s made of both carbon steel and nickel chrome, ensuring that your knife has a sharp and polished finish once you’re done.
It’s also incredibly easy to use – no matter if you’re left or right-handed, and it even comes with an ergonomic handle that’ll fit comfortably into your hands. To ensure that your honing steel doesn’t slip when you’re using it, this particular product also has a slip-resistant rubber bottom. Additionally, it’s both quick and easy to use and to maintain your honing steel, all you’ve got to do is use a cloth, soak it with cooking oil and wipe the body.
- Suited for all types of knives
- High-quality material
- Easy to use
- Comes with an ergonomic handle and a slip-resistant bottom
- Not great for dull knives
Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
Finally, there’s the amazing sharp knife and tool sharpener that’ll quickly sharpen your knife and create incredibly sharp blades for all your cutting needs. For your convenience, this particular product comes with a range of abrasive belts – coarse, medium and fine. These belts are also specially made to not burn or damage blade steel during the sharpening process.
Since it has a sharpening guide, you can be assured that you’ll get consistent results every single time. You can use it for kitchen knives as well as a bunch of gardening tools such as shears and scrapers. Additionally, you’ll also get a one-year warranty for this item in case you run into any issues. It’s truly a great all-round product – especially if you’re looking for precision sharpening. It even comes with an instructional guide and DVD if you’re new to using this product.
- Quickly sharpens your knife
- Comes with a range of abrasive belts
- Can be used for kitchen knives and even gardening tools
- Comes with an instructional guide and DVD
- Not suited for short blades
What is the best knife sharpening system?
There isn’t really the best knife sharpening system per se. It really depends on what you need and what works best for you. If you’re new to knife sharpening for example, and you’re looking for something easy to use, an electric sharpener might be your best bet.
How much does it cost to get a knife professionally sharpened?
Most cookware shops will help to sharpen your knives, but it really depends and can vary from place to place. Usually, however, it would cost about $1.50 to $2.25 per inch of knife length depending on how dull or damaged your knife is.
Should I sharpen my own knives?
You definitely should – especially if you’re someone that likes to cook at home frequently. It isn’t difficult to sharpen your knives, and you should do so at least two to three times a year.
We hope that this article helped you know a little bit more about the different knife sharpening kits out there. If you’re frequently chopping and cutting at home, a knife sharpening kit is a vital addition to your kitchen. Not only will it help with maintaining your knives, but it’ll also keep them sharp and in fantastic condition. No matter which knife sharpening kit you choose to purchase, make sure that you’re comfortable using it and always read the instruction manual carefully.
Leave a Reply