Cheesy oven-roasted vegetables are a vibrant and nutritious side dish that complements any meal. With minimal effort and the addition of melted cheese, indulge in this simple fresh recipe that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup vegan cheese
- 1 non-dairy milk (soy, almond or cashew)
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- ½ head broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups button white mushrooms
1. Start by preheating your oven to 400°F.
2. Using a medium-sized saucepan, boil water on the stove for the vegetables once they are ready.
3. Chop the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
4. Once you have all your vegetables chopped into bite-sized pieces, put them into the pot of boiling hot water. You don’t want to boil the vegetables for more than 10 minutes as this is not to cook them but rather soften them to finish cooking in the oven.
5. Next, put all the newly boiled (softened) vegetables into an oven-safe dish for roasting and leave to one side.
6. Then dice onion and sauté in a frying pan* for approximately 2-3 minutes on medium to high heat. Stir constantly as you don’t want to burn the small slivers.
7. Add the chopped garlic and mushrooms into the frying pan, sautéing them until the onion is visibly translucent to your eyes and the mushrooms are cooked through.
8. Remove from heat and set to one side.
9. Then put your freshly sautéed onions and mushrooms into the oven-safe dish with the rest of the bite-sized vegetables.
10. Add in the red peppers and cherry tomatoes and mix.
11. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables, making sure to thoroughly coat them well.
12. Season to your preference with salt and pepper (the oil will help the seasonings stick to the vegetables).
13. Place the dish in the oven for 10-15 minutes to finish tenderizing (cooking) the vegetables so they are not crunchy anymore. Don’t overcook, however, because they have to go back in the oven one final time with the cheese sauce.
14. To make your cheese sauce, place all ingredients listed above in a medium-sized saucepan on low to medium heat and stir constantly. You don’t want this mixture to burn onto the saucepan.
15. Continue stirring until you get a thick-cheesy sauce.
16. Once the desired consistency has been achieved, remove from heat.
17. Pour cheese sauce over the vegetables and coat.
18. Put the dish of cheesy oven-roasted vegetables back in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at a time until the cheese is completely melted.