This healthy baked apples recipe is a simple, satisfying dessert that is packed with nutrients. It is also vegan and gluten free. This recipe celebrates the natural sweetness of apples, enhanced with a touch of aromatic spices.
All about Healthy Baked Apples
Healthy baked apples are a delightful treat with a wealth of nutritional benefits. A serving of this dish helps you meet your daily requirements for fruit. The humble apple is packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Cinnamon provides warmth and depth of flavor and has anti-inflammatory properties. This recipe is vegan and vegetarian friendly and gluten free. Enjoying a portion of healthy baked apples can satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your health goals.
- Maple Syrup
- Tapioca flour (or cornstarch or arrowroot starch)
- Lemon juice
- Coconut oil
- Vegan butter (optional)
- Dairy-free ice cream or coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a pie plate or baking dish (approx 8 x 8 inch) with the coconut oil.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into thin slices. Place the sliced apples in the prepared baking dish.
- Mix the maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, and tapioca flour in a bowl. Add the vegan butter, if desired.
- Pour the mixture over the sliced apples. Stir the ingredients together until all the apples are coated.
- Bake the apples at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and caramelized.
- Serve warm with dairy-free ice cream or coconut whipped cream, if desired.
How to Serve Baked Apples
You can eat these apples straight from the oven for a warm, comforting dessert. Pair them with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream or a dollop of coconut whipped cream for an extra level of indulgence. For a breakfast twist, serve the apples over oatmeal or a stack of pancakes (gluten free and vegan, if desired). If hosting a dinner party, consider serving the baked apples in individual ramekins for an elegant touch.
Tips and Variations for this Dish
When you make this healthy baked apples recipe, consider these tips and variation ideas:
- Select firm apples, such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Gala, as they maintain their structure and don’t turn mushy during baking.
- Try leaving the skin on the apples for more texture and fiber.
- Adjust the amount of maple syrup based on the natural sweetness or tartness of your chosen apples.
- Experiment with other spices, like nutmeg or clove, in the dish.
- Add a handful of nuts or dried fruits for extra flavor, texture, and nutrition.
- Add the vegan butter if desired. It gives the apples a richer taste.
How to Store Leftovers
You can store leftover baked apples in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Make sure the apples are cool before storing to prevent moisture from forming. To reheat, place the apples in a microwave-safe dish and heat on medium power until warmed through. You can also reheat your baked apples in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F until warm. If the apples seem a bit dry when reheating, add a splash of water or an extra drizzle of maple syrup to restore moisture.
Other Apple Recipes
- Easy Tortilla Apple Pie
- Apple Slices with Peanut Butter Dip
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Vegan Apple Rose Tart
Healthy Baked Apples
- 5 medium Apples
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cup of Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoon Tapioca Flour (alternatively, Corn Starch or Arrowroot Starch) thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice softened
- 1 cups Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegan Butter (optional)
- Dairy-free ice-cream or Coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- Grease a pie dish or baking dish (approx 8 x 8 inch)
- Add the sliced apples.
- In a separate bowl add maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, and tapioca flour. Mix theingredients until well incorporated.
- Take the mixed ingredients and pour over the sliced apples, stirring and mixing to make surethe apples are coated. Mix them until all apples are covered.
- Bake the apples for about 25 to 30 mins, until the apples are soft and tender and caramelized.
- Serve warm with dairy-free ice-cream or coconut whipped cream.