Greek Chicken Marinade is a tasty blend of herbs, citrus, garlic, and olive oil that will take your poultry to another level. Bursting with flavor, this recipe captures the essence of Mediterranean cuisine in a simple dish.
- 1 pound of boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice or balsamic vinegar – chef’s choice but balsamic vinegar is preferred
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Start by preheating the oven to 400° before preparing the ingredients.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl (you want to be able to comfortably fit the chicken breast in the bowl later in the recipe), add the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
3. Using a whisk, combine all these ingredients until they are blended together and all spices look to be coated with olive oil. Don’t whisk too hard as you run the risk of a major mess or coating the whisk with your seasonings.
4. The finished product should be similar to the picture below with a frothy and flecked liquid.
5. Next, place all of the chicken breasts entirely in the bowl, turning them with a fork (or your hands – just make sure you thoroughly wash them as you are handling raw chicken) to coat. Keep turning the chicken breasts until they are well-coated.
6. Allow the chicken breasts to marinate in the mixture for at least 30 minutes straight without removing it. You can marinate the chicken for up to 12 hours in the refrigerator, but 30 minutes is more than enough time to create an incredible flavor. The 12-hour option is for those who want to have their prep work done before the work day begins and will bake the chicken when they arrive home.
7. Next, spray an oven-safe baking dish with cooking or non-stick spray.
8. Then put the chicken and the leftover Greek chicken marinade into the dish.
9. Bake the chicken for 30 to 40 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and serve. This recipe goes great with a side of hummus or other Mediterranean side dishes and can also be cooked using your grill or even in a frying pan.