Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Being from the south, I’m always on the hunt for delicious homemade comfort food. I can tell you with certainty that this Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings is one meal that you’ll make over and over again.
Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings Full Video
Originally published on 3/15/17 and updated 12/01/19 with new video and images!
This super easy and delicious Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings made with canned biscuits, peas, and carrots is the perfect hearty meal and comfort food. You can have dinner on the table in twenty minutes or less!
Your family will love it, you will love it, and the fact that you get to make it in your Instant Pot is just icing on the cake. With just one simple machine, your cook time is shortened beyond belief. Forget about having to be a professional straight out of culinary lab school, this recipe will help you see cooking can be easy, fun and delicious.
What used to take your hours in the kitchen will only take you mere minutes! If that isn’t a huge selling point to this Instant Pot Chicken & Dumpling recipe, I don’t know what is!
For your next family meal, chicken and dumplings need to be on your radar. It’s the perfect dish to feed your family and be confident that it’s going to turn out perfectly.
Life has been crazy and a little comfort food is all I need. You guys, I grew up on Chicken & Dumplings but this is even better. Your family is going to ask you to make it over and over. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
How to make Chicken and Dumplings with Canned Biscuits?
The first you will want to do is flatten out each biscuit to about 1/8″ thickness. I use a rolling pin but you can use the bottom of a cup. Whatever works! Use a knife to cut into 1/2″ strips.
What type of canned biscuits are best when making Dumplings In the Instant Pot?
The refrigerated buttermilk biscuits personally for me work best. I have not tried my recipe using crescent rolls. Southern Homestyle Biscuits also work really well and I would suggest avoiding the biscuits that are flaky. Any brand of canned biscuits should work but I prefer Pillsbury’s.
What seasonings go well with chicken and dumplings?
How long should you sauté the chicken in the Instant Pot?
Turn instant pot to sauté the chicken (with the lid off) until lightly golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Make sure not to overcook your chicken. When finished, shut off instant pot by pressing cancel.
Can you add vegetables to chicken & dumplings?
I always love using vegetables in my chicken & dumplings. I will add my chicken broth, water, carrots and peas to instant pot and mix well. I have even used celery! Whatever vegetable you choose. At this point, you will want to drop in the small sliced or bite size biscuits. Then seal lid of instant pot and close the pressure knob.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken & Dumplings In The Instant Pot?
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family!
If there happens to be any leftovers (which there probably won’t be), they taste great the next day as well!
Don’t forget to print this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe to save for later!
Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken breast cubed
- 1 tube 16oz refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Flatten each biscuit to about 1/8" thickness. Use a knife to cut into 1/2" strips.
- Place 1 teaspoon olive oil, chicken, oregano, onion powder, basil, garlic, salt and pepper into the instant pot and mix to coat.
- Turn instant pot to sautee and cook chicken (with the lid off) until brown on all sides, stirring frequently.
- When finished, shut off instant pot by pressing cancel.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth, and 1 cup of water, carrots and peas to instant pot and mix well.
- Stir in biscuits.
- Seal lid of instant pot and close the pressure knob.
- Set instant pot to manual for 5 minutes.
- It may take 5-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure and then you will see the count down of time from 5 minutes.
- Once cooking cycle is finished, press cancel to turn off the unit and quick release steam/pressure.
- Spoon chicken and dumplings into bowls and serve.
I get a lot of questions about whether or not to add a can of Cream of Chicken. I have tried this recipe both ways. I would maybe just adjust your chicken broth amount slightly if you do plan to add a can of Cream of Chicken soup. Also, some of you have suggested cutting your biscuits in half after you cut them into small strips. This seems to work very well!
Are you looking for more Instant Pot Soup Recipes? Try these:
- Instant Pot Beef Stew -Perfect for Cold Days
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
Pin for later: