While the Instant Pot is known for creating fantastic appetizers and entrees, did you know it’s the perfect tool for whipping up a quick dessert? Rice pudding has been one of my favorite desserts since childhood and is a firm favorite with everyone from young kids to grandparents. The Instant Pot locks in the moisture of this dish, making the most delectable rich and creamy rice pudding. After a few attempts, I’ve come up with the best recipe for this classic dessert, which takes under thirty minutes to prepare in the Instant Pot.
Rice pudding is the ideal winter dessert, and sometimes I think it’s an underrated classic. When you’re cuddled up inside by the fire, watching the snow fall down to the ground outside, there’s nothing better than a bowl of steaming rice pudding. However, before the Instant Pot, I used to struggle to get that perfect consistency.
I no longer have to worry about it going slightly crispy. Instead, I simply throw in the ingredients and let the Instant Pot work its magic. This recipe uses just eight ingredients, which you probably already have in your kitchen cabinets.
As a child, rice pudding was always my favorite dessert, and I used to be so excited when my Mom would serve it after dinner. It’s such a simple dish, but I remember savoring every last bite of its creamy goodness and licking the bowl clean afterward! It’s the perfect dessert for young children and, in comparison to some other options like cakes and pies, is slightly healthier.
I like to eat my rice pudding hot, although I sometimes wait for it to cool a little after cooking to get it to the perfect temperature. You can even serve it cold if you prefer, and if you have leftovers, put them in the fridge overnight. As it cools and sets, it will get a little bit thicker, but you can add in cold milk the next day to get it to the desired consistency again. I love having the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. It’s a delicious start to any day!
Before I give you the step-by-step instructions for this recipe, I wanted to share with you a few of my top tips for making the perfect rice pudding.
When it comes to choosing the right rice to use, there are so many different choices that it can become overwhelming. This recipe uses long-grain rice, as it’s able to absorb plenty of moisture without falling apart. This means you get that ideal rich and creamy pudding, with good consistency and texture. While other types of rice could work, I’d highly recommend basic long-grain rice for the best results.
You may be wondering why this recipe calls for quite a lot of water. The milk and cream that the recipe uses have a good amount of fat, which when heated up during the cooking phase, can potentially develop a poor taste or consistency. Water is added to stop this from happening. During the cooking process, the water will evaporate and condense, so your rice pudding will still be the perfect texture and taste delightful when finished.
After cooking the rice pudding, one of my favorite parts is adding the toppings. You can customize this dessert however you like, but I’d recommend adding a sprinkle of cinnamon on top for that warming winter flavor. Younger children may just prefer it plain, or they might enjoy a bit of jam on top. I personally enjoy adding a berry jam, as its tartness contrasts well with the creaminess of the rice pudding.
If you are looking to make this a truly indulgent dessert, why not add a teaspoon of Nutella or chocolate spread on top? It will make for an even richer dish and is perfect as a treat after a long day at work or school.
If you don’t want to make it quite so rich, but love chocolate, just sprinkle a little cocoa powder on top. Kids and teens will particularly love the addition of chocolate to their pudding! I’d recommend using an unsweetened cocoa powder, and then you can add sugar to taste if needed.
There are so many options for topping your rice pudding, so have fun experimenting each time you create this dish. For something really exotic, add chili jam or an Indian-style pickle. I’d love to hear what your favorite topping is for this Instant Pot Rice Pudding!
Below you’ll find everything you need to know to get started with this rice pudding recipe. I’ve listed all of the ingredients you’ll need, most of which you probably already have at home, and then our step-by-step guide with photos.
The Instant Pot makes creating this recipe an absolute delight, and you’ll no longer have an excuse not to make your family a dessert on a busy weeknight. The recipe serves between four and six people, so simply adjust the quantities to fit the number of portions you need to serve each time. Enjoy making our Instant Pot Rice Pudding and don’t forget to check out our other recipes for more quick and easy Instant Pot meal ideas.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding (makes 4-6 servings)
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Step by Step Instructions:
- Begin by adding all of your ingredients into your Instant Pot. Mix well together to ensure that all of the ingredients, especially the rice, are well incorporated. You want to avoid having any bits of dry rice for this recipe!
2. After you’ve ensured that all of the ingredients are well mixed together, place your Instant Pot lid on and screw to close. Close the valve on your pressure cooker.
3. Select “Porridge” on your Instant Pot, and allow this setting to run for 20 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes have passed, manually release the device by using a hot pad or a towel and bringing the valve toward you to release the pressure.
4. After you’ve removed the lid, check the flavor and texture of the rice. If you find that your rice pudding is a little too thin for your liking, you can press cancel on your instant pot, and turn on the “sauté” mode to reduce it further.
5. Once your rice pudding is finished, top with cinnamon or another topping as desired. Serve in bowls and enjoy!
There you have a simple recipe for the best rice pudding, which requires minimal ingredients and takes just five easy steps to create. I’m sure you have everything you need in your kitchen already, so what are you waiting for? It’s the perfect dessert for those nights where you are still a little hungry after dinner, but don’t have the time or energy to commit to baking something extravagant. Give it a try for your next family gathering or dinner, and it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- 3/4 cup ricelong-grain
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/8 salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups milk whole
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 vannila
- 1 cinnamon
- Pour all the ingredients into your instant pot. Mix well to make sure that all of the ingredients, as well as the rice, are well incorporated and mixed together.
- Place your instant pot lid on and screw to close. Close the valve on your pressure cooker.
- Select “Porridge” on your instant pot for 20 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, manually release by using a hot pad or a towel and bringing the valve toward you to release the pressure.
- If you find that your rice pudding is a little too thin for your liking, you can press cancel on your instant pot, and turn it on “sauté” mode to reduce.
- Top with more cinnamon as an option. Serve and enjoy!