Travel Quotes That Will Lift Your Spirits
If you’re in need of inspiration or adventure, you’ve come to the right place. I’ve scoured the internet to compile over 60 of my favorite inspirational travel quotes!
It never ceases to amaze me just how much a travel quote can do to lift my spirits. It might seem odd, but that little hint of adventure can do wonders!
The one thing that all of them have in common, though…they spark the joy, the inspiration, that travel brings. They open the door just a bit into the unknown and invite us to step right in.
Whether you’re a world traveler or dreaming of your first journey, you’ll find some quotes in this list to encourage and inspire you.
Be Inspired To Travel More in 2020
Whatever travel means to you – adventure, new experiences, or living life to the fullest – you’ll find the embodiment of it in these quotes. Take some time to rediscover the world around you and dream about your next trip!
Some of these quotes are profound, some are challenging, and some are just simple and fun. A few are just downright funny! Some are by famous travelers or authors, some by philosophers, and some are even anonymous.
Inspiring Travel Quotes
One of the things I love most about travel is the way it can inspire and change us in the most amazing ways.
Seeing the world in pictures is one thing; being able to see it ‘up close and personal’ inspires us to see the beauty in a completely different way. Here are some of my favorite inspiring travel quotes!
1. “We wander for distraction but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc
2. “Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.” – Anthony Bourdain
3. “Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.” – Roy M. Goodman
4. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
5. “It feels good to be lost in the wrong direction.” – Unknown
6. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” Dalai Lama
7. “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
9. “Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.” – Jennifer Lee
10. “Travel is rich with learning opportunities, and the ultimate souvenir is a broader perspective.” – Rick Steves
11. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
12. “I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” – Carew Papritz
13. “May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.” – Trenton Lee Stewart
14. “The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to” – Alain de Botton
15. “It feels good to be lost in the wrong direction.” – Unknown
Memorable Travel Quotes
There are some quotes that sort of get etched in your mind and stick with you throughout your journeys. They are profound and challenging, but they’re so true! Here are some of my top memorable travel quotes.
16. “Collect moments, not things.” – Unknown
17. “If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
18.“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
19. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
20. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
21. “To move, to breathe, to fly, to float, to gain all while you give, to roam the roads of land remote. To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
22. “There is freedom waiting for you, on the breezes of the sky. And you ask, “What if I fall?” Oh but my darling, what if you fly?” – Erin Hanson
23. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
24. “Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” – Ernest Hemingway
25. “Adventure is worthwhile.” – Aesop
26. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
27. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty
28. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
29. “Nothing lasts forever, except the day before you start your vacation.” – Gayland Anderson
30. “Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.” – Asian Proverb
31. “When you come to a fork in the road, take it” – Yogi Berra
32. “Not until we are lost do we begin to find ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
33. “Wanderlust: n. a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world.”
34. “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Unknown
Short Travel Quotes
There are times when a good one-liner is the perfect answer. These short and sweet travel quotes fit the bill perfectly!
35. “Life is meant for good friends and great adventures.” – Unknown
36. “Don’t listen to what they say. Go see.” – Unknown
37. “Time flies. It’s up to you to be the navigator.” – Robert Orben
38. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
39. “The only journey is the one within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
40. “Paris is always a good idea.” – Audrey Hepburn
41. “Experience, travel – these are as education in themselves.” – Euripedes
42. “Traveling tends to magnify all human emotions.” – Peter Hoeg
43. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
44. “You don’t have to be rich to travel well.” – Eugene Fodor
45. “Travel expands the mind and fills the gap.” – Sheda Savage
46. “Oh the places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Famous Quotes by Favorite Authors
Authors are wordsmiths by trade. They have an amazing way with words, an ability to say what we feel in ways that we never could. These travel quotes display their abilities well!
47. “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
48. “Traveling’s not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
49. “Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret.” – Oscar Wilde
50. “Travel is never a matter of money but of courage.” – Paulo Coelho
51. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” – James Michener
52. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
53. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
54. “The journey not the arrival matters.” – T.S. Eliot
55. “People don’t take trips… trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
56. “Life is a journey, not a destination.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
57. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
58. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustav Flaubert.
59. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?” – Caroline Myss
60. “The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.” – W.B. Yeats
61. “The world is full of wonderful things you haven’t seen yet. Don’t ever give up on the chance of seeing them.” – J.K. Rowling
62. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill
63. “The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” – G.K. Chesterton
64. “The most beautiful thing in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
65. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
66. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Unique and Profound Travel Quotes
One of my favorite things about travel is the unique experience that comes with it. It might be a great big belly laugh with friends and family, or it might include learning to see something that was previously ignored.
Whatever unique experiences come your way with travel, these quotes are sure to bring favorite memories to mind!
67. “Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
68. “All you hear is time stand still in travel. And feel such peace and absolute” – R.E.M
69. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
70. “It’s not the destination, but the glory of the ride” – Edward Monkton
71. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments and places that take our breath away.” – Unknown
72. “If we travel simply to indulge ourselves we are missing some of the greatest lessons life has to offer.” – Unknown
73. “One day you’ll leave this world behind so live a life you will remember.” – Avicii
74. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” – Unknown
75. “Travel as much, as far, and as long as you can. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place.” – Unknown
76. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – Melody Truong
77. “Travel as much, as far, and as long as you can. Life’s not meant to be lived in one place.” – Unknown
78. “Still round the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate.” – J.R.R Tolkien
79. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends” – Maya Angelou
80. “My favorite thing is to go where I’ve never been.” – Diane Arbus
81. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
82. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
Funny Travel Quotes
Having a bad day at work? Funny travel quotes are a great way to turn a bad day into an amazing day! Turn your frown upside down.
Laughing and smiling is some of the best medicine and may put us in the mood to take the plunge and book that next overdue vacation we have needed so badly.
83. “Living on earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.” – Unknown
84. “Jet lag is for amateurs.” – Dick Clark
85. “Adventure without risk is Disneyland.” – Doug Coupland
86. “There are seven days in a week and “someday” isn’t one of them.” – Benny Lewis
87. “I need a vacation so long, I forget all my passwords!” – Unknown
88. “If you are upset just think about a T-Rex trying to drink a Martini.”
89. “If you think adventure is dangerous try routine, it’s lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
90. “Quit your job, buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love, never return.” – Anonymous
These inspirational travel quotes can be used for so many things…they might inspire your next Instagram post or spur you to plan your next trip! Travel is an amazing thing, and it colors our lives in so many ways.
Whether you go on a worldwide adventure or find a new favorite place in your own back yard, take these quotes with you to inspire your journey.
My hope is that these inspirational travel quotes will spark a bit of wanderlust in you!