Learning how to draw the Grinch is fun, no matter which version you grew up with. Since 1957, the Grinch has been winning hearts, so now the whole family can enjoy drawing him together.
Who Is The Grinch?
The Grinch is a character that originated in a 1957 Dr. Seuss book. Since then, he has been adapted into two animated movies and a live-action version starring Jim Carrey. In every adaption, he hates Christmas, so he decides to “steal” it. Ultimately, he learns the true meaning of Christmas and falls in love with the holiday.
Must-Have Features Of The Grinch In A Drawing
- Mischievous smile – the signature smile is iconic, although you can choose a different expression.
- Natural scarf – he always has extra fur around his neck and shoulders.
- Spriggy hair – he usually has two sprigs that look like a whale spout.
- Long fingers – his fingers are long with hair on the ends.
- Green everything – over 95% of the Grinch is green, from his nose to his toes.
- Whisker follicles – the whisker follicles are always present even if the whiskers are not
How To Draw The Grinch: 10 Easy Drawing Projects
1. How to Draw the Grinch Face
When you begin to learn how to draw the Grinch, his face is a good place to start. DoodleDraw Art with Lisa shows you how to step-by-step.
2. How to Draw Max from the Grinch
The Grinch’s beloved dog Max is also a fun one to draw. Learn how with Art for Kids Hub.
3. How to Draw the Grinch Easy
If you want a quick drawing of the Grinch, consider something like the tutorial HalloweenDrawings offers.
4. How to Draw Grinch Full Body
You can draw the Grinch’s full body without the Santa outfit. Learn how with artist theartofbilly.
5. How to Draw the Grinch 2018
The Grinch from 2018 is now just as popular as other versions for kids. Cartooning Club How to Draw shows how to draw this version.
6. How to Draw the Grinch Cute
The Grinch isn’t usually considered cute, but he can be. Draw So Cute shows how to draw the Grinch in the most adorable way possible.
7. How to Draw a Realistic Grinch
A realistic Grinch can be impressive and a tad scary. A sketch is a good way to learn to draw this, and Cartooning Club How to Draw has a great tutorial.
8. How to Draw the Grinch as Santa
The scene when the Grinch dresses as Santa is iconic. Learn to draw him with Art for Kids Hub.
9. How to Draw the Grinch as a Kid
The Grinch is shown as a kid in the live-action and 2018 adaption. Learn to draw his child self with Art for All.
10. How to Draw the Grinch’s Hand
The Grinch’s hand is signature to him. Learn to draw a simple version with markers following HalloweenDrawings’ guide.
How To Draw The Grinch Step-By-Step
Step 1: Draw Three Circles
Start your Grinch drawing with three circles. The bottom one should be the largest, and the other two should be similar in size. The result should be similar to a snowman.
Step 2: Draw Limbs
Draw simple limbs, for now, to get the proportions right. Make the hands land on the hips, and the feet point outward.
Step 3: Draw Face Details
Draw the eyes, mouth, and nose of the face. It’s also a good time to start drawing the fur on the face.
Step 4: Finish Body Details
Finish the body details by shaping it and drawing fur around the edge. Make sure you add the fur scarf.
Step 5: Add Fingers
The Grinch’s toes are never shown, so you can go with simple feet but do add fingers and finish the limb details.
Step 6: Color
Color with colored pencils or markers. You don’t need to shade because it’s a cartoon character.
Tips For Drawing The Grinch
- Get the green right – the right green is important if you want the drawing to be accurate.
- Stick to an adaptation – pick one of the adaptions to model your drawing after.
- Or make your own – create a new version of the Grinch using your imagination.
- Use an alternate outfit – the Grinch wears different clothing in the Broadway musical and the live-action movie.
- Add fur or hair – as in tangible fur from the craft section at the store.
Why is the Grinch the Only Green Who?
The Grinch is the only green Who because Chuck Jones’ rental car was green. But the reason is never fully explained in any of the adaptions. Originally in black and white, thus the Grinch was the same color as the other Whos in the black and white book.
What Does the Name Grinch Mean?
A Grinch is someone who hates Christmas. The word Grinch didn’t exist until Dr. Seuss created it. Since then, it has been used the same way that Scrooge is used, as someone who is a Christmas killjoy.
What Is The Deeper Meaning Of The Grinch?
The Grinch’s meaning is that Christmas’s true meaning is love. That we should learn not to judge others but to accept them and share our love freely.