Learning how to draw a gingerbread man is a fun holiday project. Though the tale of the gingerbread man is old, not everyone knows what a gingerbread man is and when to bake them.
What Is The Gingerbread Man?
A gingerbread man is a humanoid-shaped cookie made from ginger and other spices. However, it was popularized after the release of an 1875 story called The Gingerbread Man. In it, an old maid baked a gingerbread man who came to life and ran away. In the end, he is eaten by a fox.
Now, the gingerbread man is a holiday treat, with each boy and girl being unique. However, most of them share similar traits.
Must-Haves On A Gingerbread Man Drawing
- Gingerbread man shape – the shape of the gingerbread man is important; study it beforehand.
- Icing trim – trim on the wrists and ankles are most common.
- Buttons – three or so buttons make the gingerbread man look dapper.
- Bowtie or hairbow – gingerbread women have hairbows or skirts traditionally.
How To Draw A Gingerbread Man: 10 Easy Drawing Projects
1. How to Draw a Cute Gingerbread Man
Cute gingerbread men are hard to beat when it comes to art or cooking. Draw So Cute strikes again with her adorable tutorial.
2. How to Draw a Gingerbread Woman
A gingerbread woman can be interesting if you add a dress and eyelashes. Learn how with How To Art Club.
3. How to Draw the Gingerbread Man from Shrek
Gingy from Shrek is the most popular modern gingerbread man. Learn to draw the cutest version of him with EasyDrawing Tutorials.
4. How to Draw a Gingerbread Man Easy
Gingerbread man can be easy to draw if you have the right tutorial. Brave Kids Art has an easy-to-follow one that takes you through each step.
5. How to Draw a Realistic Gingerbread Man
This is hard to follow, but if you can slow it down, Viv does an amazing realistic gingerbread man.
6. How to Draw the Gingerbread Man from Fortnite
The gingerbread man from Fortnite is unique and tough. Draw him with Cool Kids Art, along with your other favorite characters from the game.
7. How to Draw a Gingerbread Man with Shading
Gingerbread men don’t need to be shaded. But you can shade your gingerbread man to make things more interesting with Drawing for KIDS TV.
8. How to Draw a Gingerbread Man with a Candy Cane
Gingerbread men with candy canes and Santa hats are a good way to step things up do so with Mister Brush.
9. How to Draw a Cute Gingerbread Woman
The easiest way to draw a gingerbread girl is to add a bow. That’s exactly what EasyPicturesToDraw did.
10. How to Draw a Gingerbread Man Optical Illusion
Not all gingerbread man drawings have to be the same. This incredible illusion by Jon Harris is fun to try.
How To Draw A Gingerbread Man Step-By-Step
- Colored pencils
Step 1: Draw a Circle
Draw a circle that will be the head of the gingerbread man. Leave room for the rest of the body and anything else you will add.
Step 2: Add Upper Body
Add shoulds and arms coming down from the head, then an abdomen. The shape is simple and has room for error.
Step 3: Add Lower Body
Add two round legs coming from the abdomen. Connect them in the middle, and this completes the body.
Step 4: Add Details
Add eyes, a mouth, and buttons. Everything else is all about customizing your gingerbread man.
Step 5: Color
The traditional color is brown with red, white, and green details. But again, this is all about preference.
Tips For Drawing A Gingerbread Man
- Create the whole family – create tiny gingerbread man drawings for children and give wrinkles to the older members.
- Make a different type of cookie – make a chocolate chip or sugar cookie by changing the colors of the cookie.
- Change the traditional colors – you can even do a rainbow cookie for a marbled look.
- Give them an outfit – you can add more than buttons. Consider adding a sweater and hat.
- Add a pet – gingerbread pets are fun to make but difficult to shape in real life. So they are perfect for drawings.
Who Invented The Gingerbread Man?
Queen Elizabeth I is credited with creating the first gingerbread man in the 16th century when she made them for her guests.
Why Do We Have Gingerbread Men At Christmas?
At Christmas, we have gingerbread men because it became a sacred tradition to make them to resemble religious icons. It was during Christmas and Easter that the general public was allowed to make them.
What Does The Gingerbread Man Symbolize?
Because of the story, the Gingerbread man cookie has long symbolized that one should be careful who one trusts. However, it has become more common for them to represent positive things, depending on the shape of the cookie.