Learning how to draw Santa Claus is crucial for any Christmas artist. Santa is one of the icons of the Christmas season. Before you draw your version of Santa, look at some of Santa’s key features.
Features of a Santa Claus Drawing
- Rosy cheeks – Santa always has rosy cheeks from being jolly and out in the cold.
- Hat and jacket – Santa’s red jacket is always trimmed with white fur.
- Boots and gloves – black boots and gloves are donned on Santa’s feet and hands.
- White beard – Santa has a white bead and white hair, though the length of the hair isn’t as important as getting the beard right.
- Glasses – although they aren’t necessary, glasses are a classic for Santa depictions.
How to Draw a Santa Claus: 10 EASY Drawing Projects
1. How to Draw Santa Claus with Shapes
Using shapes is a good way to learn how to draw different objects. Simply start by using two circles to draw a Santa Claus with shapes.
2. How to Draw a Santa Claus Hat
Santa’s hat is so important that you may want to learn to draw it separately. Whiteboard Drawing EZ is a good place to learn the basics.
3. How to Draw a Cute Santa Claus
Santa Claus can be cute too. Learn to draw a cute version of Santa with Draw So Cute, where everything is adorable.
4. How to Draw a Realistic Santa Claus
Drawing a realistic Santa is advanced. But Cartooning Club How to Draw teaches you how in a way that makes it look easy.
5. How to Draw a Cartoon Santa Claus
Many cartoons depict Santa in a different way. A generic cartoon Santa can be found at Cartooning Club How to Draw.
6. How to Draw an Anime Santa Claus
Anime Santa Claus is a favorite of anime lovers everywhere. Learn to draw this muscular Santa at Drago Art.
7. How to Draw a Santa Puppet
If you tire of just drawing pictures, then consider making a folding surprise. Art for Kids Hub shows you how to draw an adorable Santa puppet.
8. How to Draw a Santa Claus Face
You can skip the body and just draw the face of Santa. Art for Kids Hub has a tutorial on just the face complete with rosy cheeks and a twinkle in his eye.
9. How to Draw Summer Santa Claus
Santa enjoys his vacation during the summer. Learn to draw a beach bum Santa with Art for Kids Hub.
10. How to Draw Santa Claus in a Chimney
Santa uses chimneys to enter houses on Christmas Eve. So go ahead and learn to draw the process with Draw So Cute.
How To Draw A Santa Claus Step-By-Step
Step 1: Draw a Circle
Start with a circle which will be the head of Santa. Make sure there’s enough room for Santa’s body.
Step 2: Draw Ears and a Beard
Draw Santa’s ears which will be two small half circles or ovals on either side of his head. Then, draw his beard, complete with a nose and mustache above.
Step 3: Draw Hat
Draw Santa’s hat on top of the circle. Remember to add fur trim and the ball on the end.
Step 4: Draw Upper Body
Draw Santa’s upper body. It doesn’t need details yet, but adding the arms stocking out is a good idea.
Step 5: Draw Lower Body
Draw the lower body which should just be two legs sticking out the bottom of Santa’s coat.
Step 6: Draw Clothing
Draw Santa’s belt, fur trim, gloves, and boots. The rest should already be drawn for you when you drew the body.
Step 7: Draw Face
Finish Santa by drawing eyes, rosy cheeks, and eyebrows. You don’t even need to draw a mouth if the beard will cover it.
Step 8: Color
Color Santa any way you like. However, red and white are the traditional coloring for Santa. Remember the yellow/gold belt buckle.
Tips For Drawing A Santa Claus
- Try out different portrayals – Santa changes throughout the centuries and different cultures, find a version that speaks to you.
- Add a setting – whether he’s in his sleigh or in front of the Christmas tree, adding a setting can be fun.
- Accept mistakes – if you make a mistake, roll with it to create something unique.
- Change up the body position – make Santa wave or with his finger to his lips.
- Add Santa’s bag of gifts – Santa’s bag of gifts goes everywhere he does on Christmas Eve.
- Use cotton – cotton makes a great beard and fur trim, add it to your picture with glue.
- Add Mrs. Claus – we know Santa wouldn’t be the same without Mrs. Claus and his elves.
How Did Santa Claus Originate?
Santa Claus originated from what is believed to be the real St. Nicolas that lived around 280 A.D. He was a monk admired for his kindness and devotion.
What Is Santa Claus A Symbol Of?
Santa Claus is a symbol of generosity and goodwill, just as is told in Luke when Jesus Christ is born.
When you learn how to draw Santa Claus, you can learn how to draw any human. You learn how to draw facial features, winter clothing, and hair. Remember to apply what you learn to other drawings to make the most of your time and skills as an artist.