Learning how to draw a Christmas stocking is a perfect project for this time of year.
The stocking has been an icon for Christmas for hundreds of years. Of course, there are many ways to draw a Christmas stocking.
How To Draw A Christmas Stocking: 10 Easy Drawing Projects
1. How to Draw an Easy Christmas Stocking
The whole family can do a drawing project together with this easy Christmas stocking that anyone can draw.
2. A Cute Christmas Stocking Drawing Tutorial
A cute stocking with a face and candy canes will make anyone smile. Happy Drawings shows you how to draw one.
3. How to Draw a Christmas Stocking With Shapes
Learning to draw a Christmas stocking with shapes is a good way to start. Art for Kids Hub has a good tutorial on how to do this.
4. How to Draw a Stuffed Christmas Stocking
Christmas stockings look best when filled with goodies from Santa. Draw one with Draw So Cute, then add your own goodies.
5. A Christmas Stocking for Kids Drawing Tutorial
Kids love drawing Christmas art. Draw a Christmas Stocking with a father and son at Art for Kids Hub.
6. How to Draw a Snowflake Christmas Stocking
A Christmas stocking with snowflakes and a furry top is unique and festive. Draw one with drawstuffrealeasy.
7. Drawing a Christmas Boot Tutorial
A Christmas boot is like a stocking but in boot form. Draw this unique find with Art View, and you may also want to get one in real life.
8. How to Draw a Colorful Christmas Stocking
If you think red and white are boring, then you can try to draw a colorful stocking instead. Easy Drawing Guides is a good place to start.
9. A Christmas Stocking with a Puppy Drawing Tutorial
Many kids dream of finding a puppy in their stockings. You can find one in a stocking drawing with Art for Kids Hub.
10. How to Draw a Row of Christmas Stockings
If you have stockings on your fireplace on Christmas Eve, you probably want to represent everyone. Do that by drawing a row of stockings with Yulka Art.
How To Draw A Christmas Stocking Step-By-Step
Step 1: Draw a Band
It’s a good idea to start with the band at the top of the stocking. You can make it as thin or thick as you want as long as it’s tilted down.
Step 2: Draw the Foot
Draw the foot of the stocking. You can look at a picture or a real sock to copy the shape.
Step 3: Draw Toe and Heel Details
Draw details on the toe and heel of the stocking. Get creative and add stitching to these parts for a patchwork stocking.
Step 4: Draw Other Details
Draw stripes, patterns, and whatever else you want on your stocking. You can also add folds and wrinkles.
Step 5: Add Fireplace/Clothesline/Nail
Add the background. It doesn’t have to be detailed, but a hook and nail are the bare minimum at this stage.
Step 6: Add Stuffers
Add candy canes, presents, teddy bears, and more to your stocking. The more creative you are at this point, the better.
Step 7: Color
Now all you have to do is color your stocking. White and red are traditional, but you can use any color you want.
Tips For Drawing A Christmas Stocking
- Use an elf stocking – elf stockings are turned up and pointy t the end. They often have a bell.
- Add glitter – glitter is a good way to make your picture festive. You can add it in any color, though silver and red are traditional.
- Make holes – make holes in a classic stocking for a realistic effect.
- Embroidery names – make an embroidery name with markers or pencils in cursive or print.
- Draw a fireplace – draw a detailed fireplace in the background to make the picture really come together.
Why Are Christmas Stockings A Tradition?
Christmas stockings are a tradition because the original Saint Nicolas put gold coins in the stocking of poor sisters who left their stockings to dry overnight.
What Does A Christmas Stocking Symbolize?
The Christmas stocking symbolizes staying grounded yet youthful and spending the holidays with family.
If you learn how to draw a Christmas stocking, you can fill them up with treats for all your friends. Christmas stockings spread joy during the holidays, so drawing them is a wonderful activity to add to your holiday calendar.