Learning how to draw a Christmas ornament is a wonderful holiday activity. There are many different types of Christmas ornaments, but learning what classifies as one is a good place to start.
What Is A Christmas Ornament?
A Christmas ornament is any single decoration you add to a Christmas tree. The first Christmas ornaments were fruit, nuts, and candles. Today, the options are nearly limitless, with baubles, stars, and angels being quite popular.
Types Of Christmas Ornaments To Draw
- Baubles/balls – this is the classic Christmas ornament.
- Stars – stars go on the tree top or the branches.
- Angels – angels are common tree toppers, too but often grace the branches for protection.
- Santa/Reindeer/Elves – the secular ornaments are a common and adorable addition to any tree.
- Bells – Christmas and jingle bells add another sensory aspect to Christmas drawings.
- Keepsake – keepsake ornaments are often themed to favorite sports, shows, and toys.
- Handmade – handmade ornaments, such as footprints in clay, are a way to make the tree personal.
- Non-traditional – non-traditional ornaments include things that people don’t normally put on the tree.
- Snowglobe – snowglobes are perfect if they are plastic and lightweight.
- Snowflakes/Icicles – sparkly snowflakes and icicles add a magical touch to any tree.
How To Draw a Christmas Ornament: 10 Easy Drawing Projects
1. How to Draw a Cute Christmas Ornament
Cute Christmas ornaments can have faces to add to their adorability. Draw So Cute has a great tutorial on how to draw an ornament with a face.
2. How to Draw Traditional Christmas Ornaments
Traditional glass ornaments come in all shapes and sizes. Learn to draw them with AmandaRachLee.
3. How to Draw a Realistic Christmas Ornament
The classic Christmas ball looks amazing when drawn realistically. Learn to draw it with Fine Art-Tips.
4. How to Draw a Unique Christmas Ball
Unique Christmas ornaments will give your picture something extra. Draw So Cute show you how to draw a unique family ornament.
5. How to Draw a Christmas Angel Ornament
Angels work as tree toppers or ornaments that hang on the tree. Zooshii has a good tutorial on how to draw one that works for either.
6. How to Draw a Christmas Star Topper
Star tree toppers are common and often drawn on Christma tree drawings. Learn to draw one with Sherry Drawings.
7. How to Draw a Christmas Bell Ornament
Christmas bells are different than jingle bells. You can draw a Christmas bell to go on your Christmas drawing with Draw So Cute.
8. How to Draw a Snowglobe Ornament
Snowglobe ornaments are wonderful when they are plastic and empty. Art for Kids Hub has a tutorial you can follow to draw one.
9. How to Draw a Candy Cane Ornaments
Candy canes make good ornaments that taste good too. Draw one with Art for Kids Hub, where they add a bow.
10. How to Draw a Gingerbread Ornament
Gingerbread men look great on the Christmas tree. Draw one with Draw So Cute, and then make some in real life to snack on.
How To Draw A Christmas Ornament Step-By-Step
Step 1: Draw a Circle
Draw a circle that will be the majority of the ornament. Make sure you leave extra room if you’re drawing more than one.
Step 2: Draw the Topper
Draw the top of the ornament to which the hook will attach. Add a scalloped bottom to add flavor.
Step 3: Add a Hook
Add the hook that will allow you to attach the ornament to the tree. It should be thin and flexible.
Step 4: Add a Shine
Add a shine by deciding where the light is coming from and adding it accordingly. Try not to stress about the direction when making marker art.
Step 5: Add a Background (Optional)
Add a tree in the background or a branch next to a window. This will add so much to the drawing and give it warmth.
Step 6: Color
Color the drawing now. Ornaments can be any color, but red is traditional. Feel free to add a pattern now too.
Tips For Drawing A Christmas Ornament
- Make it your own – make any drawing your own by drawing your belongings, such as your favorite ornament.
- Draw it on a tree – a tree in the background will make your ornaments pop.
- Add glitter – glitter makes all Christmas drawings better.
- Write your name or sayings – writing your name or Merry Christmas will add a special detail to your drawing.
Where Did Christmas Ornaments Originate?
Christmas ornaments originated in Germany, along with the Christmas tree. The first marketed ornaments were by Hans Greiner in the 1800s.
What Does An Ornament Symbolize?
Each type of ornament symbolizes something different. But traditionally, it’s a way to honor Christ’s birth and family protection.