The holidays is a time of laughter, food, and family. Think of it as the trio of holiday happiness, if you will. What better way to start planning your upcoming Thanksgiving or Christmas feast than with this Candied Yam and Marshmallow Bake?
It’s the perfect combination of sweet and simple, and honestly, one of those classic Thanksgiving or Christmas dishes that you just can’t pass up.
This recipe is actually really, really simple. All you need to do is make certain that you have enough oven space with everything else you’re planning on cooking for Thanksgiving, and with just a few simple steps, you’ll be smelling that sweet scent of yams filling up your house in no time. (Under an hour to be exact!)
Everyone tends to like this dish a little differently. If you love cinnamon, just add a bit more than what the recipe calls for! The same goes for the marshmallows on top, too!
However, you decide to cook this Yam and Marshmallow bake is going to be just fine because the flavors of this dish just can’t be beaten!
Ingredients for Candied Yam with Marshmallow:
- 4-6 large yams
- 2/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Ground nutmeg
- ½ package of miniature marshmallows
Directions to prepare the candied yams with marshmallows:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and dice yams into large chunks. Place into a 9×13 sized baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg into a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour mixture over yams. Stir to evenly coat. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Once yams are tender, pour the marshmallows evenly over top. Turn oven to broil to brown the tops of marshmallows.
- This should take only a few minutes. Watch carefully.
Yam and Marshmallow Bake
- 4-6 large yams
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 package miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel and dice yams into large chunks. Place into a 9x13 sized baking dish
- Combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg into a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves
- Pour mixture over yams. Stir to evenly coat. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour
- Once yams are tender, pour the marshmallows evenly over top. Turn oven to broil to brown the tops of marshmallows. This should take only a few minutes. Watch carefully
You may like these other Thanksgiving side dish ideas:
Pin for Later:
I made this recipe for Easter this past year. My husband absolutely loved it and this is now the only way I make them now.
Winona Rogers says
Hi Karen! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. We appreciate you! So glad you enjoy this recipe. Happy Holidays!
Wow! These sweet potatoes are so delicious. First time making them! They shrink down to about half of what you originally put in. They were crazy sweet! Next time I’m going to half the sauce as my potatoes were completely drenched in sauce and I had to strain some of the sauce out after they were cooked. Delicious recipe.
How many servings does this recipe make?