Learning how to draw a gingerbread house may make you hungry, but knowing how to create this Christmas drawing is worth it. Gingerbread houses are easy to customize in real life and on paper. But learning what a gingerbread house is would be the ideal first step.
What Is The Gingerbread House?
A gingerbread house is a structure made out of gingerbread cookies and adhered with frosting. They are generally made by more than one person to create a bond and have fun during the holidays.
Common Gingerbread House Drawing Details
- Gingerbread – gingerbread walls and roof are the base of the house.
- Icing glue – icing glue, usually white, holds everything together; make sure it peeks out in the corners.
- Icing shingles – the icing should be scalloped on the roof to create a shingle effect.
- Gumdrops – gumdrops are one of the most common candies to decorate with.
- Candy canes – candy canes make great trees, poles, and more for the yard.
- Other candy – any candy can be used for stepping stones, house decorations, and yard ornaments.
- Windows and door – make sure the gingerbread in your drawing has holes for these.
- Gingerbread men – a gingerbread family in the yard will add a great vibe.
How To Draw a Gingerbread House: 10 Easy Drawing Projects
1. How to Draw a Gingerbread House Easy
Gingerbread house drawings don’t need all the bells and whistles. You can get by with a simple tutorial by drawstuffrealeasy.
2. How to Draw a Gingerbread House 3D
A 3D gingerbread house looks impressive but isn’t hard to draw. Learn how with Art with Trista.
3. A Cartoon Gingerbread House Drawing Tutorial
A cartoon gingerbread house should have character and tell a story. Rainbow Parrot Art does a great job of achieving this.
4. Drawing a Cute Gingerbread House Tutorial
A cute gingerbread house will make anyone smile. Draw So Cute always has the cutest art tutorials.
5. How to Draw a Gingerbread House for Kids
Kids typically want something easy yet interesting enough to keep them focused. Art for Kids Hub does an incredible job with their gingerbread house for kids.
6. How to Draw a Realistic Gingerbread House
Realistic gingerbread houses may look like they came right from Hansel and Gretel’s forest. Cartooning Club How to Draw does an amazing version.
7. A Colorful Gingerbread House Drawing Tutorial
There’s no reason that a gingerbread house can’t be vibrant. Colorful Creative Kids does a cute version with markers.
8. How to Draw a Christmas Card Gingerbread House
Gingerbread houses on Christmas cards look best somewhere between cartoon and realistic. Shoo Rayner Drawing does a perfect Hallmark-like version.
9. Drawing a Living Gingerbread House Tutorial
A living gingerbread house has a face to show that it is sentient. Draw this impressive version with Mei Yu.
10. How to Draw a Gingerbread House Surprise
Pop-up surprises are fun to make and show your friends. You can make a gingerbread house surprise with Art Land.
How To Draw A Gingerbread House Step-By-Step
Step 1: Draw the Roof
There are many ways to draw a gingerbread house. But this time, we’re starting at the top. So draw the icing in a triangle shape.
Step 2: Draw the Chimney and Roof Details
Draw the chimney on top and any other details you want to add to the roof. In this case, we’re looking at the house straight on.
Step 3: Draw the Windows and Walls
Draw two windows and a door below the roof, then frame it with two walls. Candy canes make good corner posts.
Step 4: Draw the Base
Connect the bottom by drawing a line across. This will complete the important parts of the gingerbread house.
Step 5: Draw the Details
Draw icing details, candy, and anything else you want to add. This is the most creative step, so let yourself feel free.
Step 6: Color
Color the gingerbread house any way you want. Brown is most common with white icing and colorful candies.
Tips For Drawing A Gingerbread House
- Use unique candy – use everything from Rollos to cotton candy.
- Pay homage to your home – use your own home as inspiration.
- Add shine to the windows – a little shine made by drawing frosting lines on the windows adds a realistic touch.
- Add a candy cane forest – candy cane forests are beautiful and add a homey feel to the house.
- Use real sprinkles – real sprinkles are wonderful for drawings that you don’t intend to keep long.
Who Invented The Gingerbread House?
No one knows who invented the gingerbread house. However, it is believed that it dates back to ancient Greece and may have been made to help cure indigestion in monks. And the tradition of making and decorating gingerbread houses originated in early 19th-century Germany.
What Does A Gingerbread House Symbolize?
The gingerbread house symbolizes family and holiday traditions. But it was the Brothers Grimm’s fairy tale, Hansel and Gretel, that popularized the gingerbread house made of sweet treats.