When you are in the mood for something sweet, something crunchy, and something good to go with your morning coffee or just as an energy boost – instead of reaching for something from a vending machine, why not try something homemade and organic? Organic banana walnut bites are a great way to get an energy boost using natural sugar and also increase your daily intake of protein, omegas, and fruits. Another great bonus when it comes to making these organic bites? They are extremely easy and quick to make!
Health Benefits of Bananas
The old saying always went “an apple a day, keeps the doctor away” but what about bananas? This superfruit has more health benefits than most people realize and contain a lot of important nutrients, as well as minerals, that the body needs to have a healthy immune system. There has to be a reason that bananas are so popular among all age groups and there has to be a reason that people love to cook or bake with them. Granted, they have a sweet and fresh taste when they are ripened to perfection but what other benefits are bananas giving you (besides a burst of flavour on your taste buds)?
- Bananas are high in multiple vitamins and minerals including but not limited to:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Bananas contain natural sugar and other nutrients that help moderate sugar levels. They are rich in pectin which is a type of fiber. This fiber can help reduce how quickly starch turns to sugar into the bloodstream while also helping you feel full for longer.
The fiber found within bananas helps improve digestion and allow food to digest at a solid, steady pace to prevent stomach upset. Bananas contain lots of dietary and immune system antioxidants that can reduce the chances of various diseases.
Health Benefits of Walnuts
It’s common knowledge that nuts can be high in fat, protein, and calories. However, they are high all good fats, protein, and calories; making them a snack that leave you feeling full for longer and prevent you from reaching for another snack within minutes of eating.
So what else can walnuts offer you in terms of health benefits?
- High in antioxidants. Walnuts contain natural antibodies which are useful for warding off disease.
- Walnuts contain high levels of Vitamin E which helps maintain a healthy body weight and strengthen the skins barriers against pollution, damage, and more.
- Walnuts are one of the most potent sources of omega-3s (fish being another high contender on the list). Omega-3s can help improve joint function and mobility while increasing memory levels over time.
- Fiber is found through the walnut from the outer skin to the nut inside which improves and regulates digestion.
Health Benefits of Flaxseeds
Flaxseeds do not contain much of taste when eaten alone but when you sprinkle these beauties into your favorite recipe? Be prepared to be surprised at the difference it can make in taste and texture. They add a slight crunch to your recipes and they add a lot more than that in terms of health benefits.
- Fiber which helps aid in digestion and prevent stomach upset. Meeting your daily dose of fiber can regulate stomach movements and prevent bloating, gas, and more.
- Omega-3 essential acids are found throughout the little seed known as flaxseed, with levels reaching as high as you would find in fresh fish. These essential acids contain properties that can reduce heart disease while increasing memory function.
- Flaxseed contain traces of protein and when paired with a high-protein based recipe? Can aid in weight loss and the maintenance of current weight as they leave you feeling fuller for longer.
Ingredient List for Banana Walnut Bites:
- 2 organic bananas
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped organic walnuts
- 1 tbsp organic milled flaxseed
- 1 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1 tbsp organic hemp seed
How to prepare the Banana Walnut Bites:
Step 1: mash
Preheat oven to 400 degrees to allow it to heat up while you are preparing the ingredients. Mash all the bananas until they’re nice and smooth using a mashing utensil or fork if you don’t have one on hand. As long as it’s pureed. Small chunks are fine.
Step 2: Combine rest
Combine all your dry ingredients together and blend them thoroughly to prevent lumps of one thing. Stir all dry ingredients into your mashed bananas. Mix gently until you get a mostly smooth consistency. You won’t have a smooth liquid batter because of the ingredients, just ensure that they are mixed together well.
Step 4: scoop
Scoop mixture onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Make your scoops to approximately the size of the bites you are looking to make because there’s very little shrinkage. Roll into a ball-like shape for the best results.
Step 5: bake
Bake until the bites are a nice golden brown – you can set your oven timer for five-minute increments to prevent overbaking and drying out the bites. Cook for longer if you don’t like mushy banana.
Step 6: cool and serve
Wait until the bites are cooled before serving and then enjoy with a glass of milk or a hot beverage of your choice. These keep in the fridge for a few days, so make a large batch and stock pile snacks for the week!
Leave a Reply