The name Mia has its roots in Latin languages like Spanish and Italian to mean ‘mine’ or ‘beloved’. Often used as a shortened version of Maria, Mia is derived from the Hebrew name Miryam and has also been used as an abbreviated version of the Israeli girl’s name Michal.
- Name Origin: Roots in both Spanish and Italian
- Meaning: Spanish and Italian means ‘mine’
- Pronunciation: M EE – uh
- Gender: Female
How Popular is the Name Mia?
The name Mia has been popular in the US for over two decades. According to the Social Security Administration Data, it has ranked in the top 100 names since 2000.
In recent years its popularity has increased, seeing it ranked as high as number 6 from 2013 – 2017. Mia then took a slight dip in popularity during 2018-2021 where it ranked 7/8.
|Maria||Of the sea or bitter||Latin|
|Mary||Of the sea or bitter or beloved||Hebrew|
|Michal||Who is like God||Hebrew|
|Miriam||Of the sea or bitter||Hebrew|
|Maryam||Sea, flower, bitter||Arabic|
More Latin Girl Names
|Antonia||Priceless, praiseworthy, beautiful.|
|Cecilia||Blind to one’s own beauty.|
|Octavia||The eighth born.|
|Sabina||From the name of the tribe in central Italy.|
Alternative Girl Names Starting with ‘M’
|Magnolia||After the magnolia flower||French|
|Morgan||White sea dweller||Welsh|
|Milan||A unification, a coming together||Sanskrit|
|Malia||Perhaps or probably||Hawaiian|
Famous People Named Mia
- Mia Hamm – American soccer player and Olympic gold medalist.
- Mia Martini – Italian singer and songwriter.
- Mia Pojatina – Croatian model and beauty queen.
- Mia Murray – Australian basketball player.
- Mia Tyler – Daughter of Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler.