In the first instance, the name Paisley was the name of a small town in Renfrewshire, which is just outside Glasgow, Scotland. And Paisley was originally a surname before being used as a first name, this use came much later on in its history.
Paisley is believed to come from the Middle Irish baslec, which means church. It also has roots in the Greek word ‘basilike’ meaning royal portal and the Latin ‘basilica’ meaning the building of a court of justice.
The Basilica buildings were large and rectangular in shape and often used for matters concerning law or business. This went on to mean that other buildings of similar design were called basilicas.
Another connection to the word Paisley is the use of the paisley pattern in clothing and textiles. Although this design is believed to have originally come from Persia this pattern became popular in the West during the 18th and 19th centuries. And even though the pattern is not so popular these days it is still used mainly for men’s formal wear.
- Meaning of Paisley: Means Church or Cemetery
- Origin of the name Paisley: Scottish in origin
- Pronunciation: pay-zlee
- Gender: The name Paisley is normally used as a girl’s name, but it is, in fact, a unisex name.
Popularity of the Name Paisley?
You may be surprised to hear that the name Paisley has in fact been consistently popular since 2013 as it has stood in the top 100 names for girls during this time. Before this, it was sat in the unpopular position of 827 during the year 2000.
Why did the name have such a huge jump in popularity? It is believed that the jump was mainly due to its use by famous people such as athlete Jennie Finch for their children. As well as its use as a character name in the Secret Language of Girls.
Variations of the Name Paisley
As with any other name, there are some variations in the way that Paisley can be spelled. So if you want something that is a little more unique but are in love with the name Paisley then maybe a spelling change may be a good choice for you.
Even with the spelling changes it does not alter the meaning of the name Paisley. So no need to worry there.
Other Adorable Scottish Unisex Names
You are sold on a Scottish name for your little one but think Paisley is not quite right, then don’t panic there are plenty of other choices. Some are a little more unique than others but take a look.
Alternative Unisex Names Starting with ‘P’
If you like the name Paisley, then you may also like the following names:
Famous People Named Paisley
Every parent wants their children to grow up and reach their full potential and we want to do everything we can to help them on their journey, right? Choosing the right name for your little one can certainly help to get them on the right path. So, what have other people with the name Paisley achieved?
- Paisley Hu, a Chinese TV personality and singer.
- Paisley Scott, is an American actress made famous by the hit TLC show Toddlers and Tiaras.
- Paisley Parker, is famous for her roles in the American Adult film industry
- Paisley Dodds, is currently the investigations editor for The New Humanitarian.
- Paisley Currah, a Canadian born political scientist, best known for his work in the transgender rights movement. He is also a professor of political science at Brooklyn College.