Spiritual health is just as important as physical health. If you’ve been feeling down or not quite right, it may be a spiritual issue.
But don’t worry, it’s always possible to repair your spiritual wellness. You can heal spiritually with the right practices and thought processes.
What Is Spiritual Health?
As defined by the NIH, spiritual health includes “a purposeful life, transcendence, and actualization of different dimensions and capacities of human beings. Spiritual health creates a balance between physical, psychological and social aspects of human life.”
In layman’s terms, spiritual wellness is finding your purpose in life, rising above life’s struggles, and finding reality in life beyond our universe.
How To Improve Spiritual Health
- Connect with others – always have close friends with whom you can connect daily. While alone time is good, make sure you connect with someone you know who cares about you.
- Give time to someone who needs it – giving part of yourself to volunteer work or something similar is the perfect way to begin finding spiritual worth.
- Meditate – meditation is important to spiritual health. You may spend five minutes in prayer or an hour in deep meditation. Every second counts.
- Journal – journaling can help you get to know yourself better. Write down your thoughts, feelings, hopes, and dreams.
- Connect to nature – get outside in the sun and find a closer connection to nature.
- Enjoy life – have fun. Those who know how to live in the moment are happier and more spiritually well.
- Seek guidance – while you shouldn’t rely completely on your pastor or spiritual leader, you can seek guidance when you have questions in life.
Why Is Spiritual Health Important?
Spiritual health affects your entire life. It is encompassed by our physical, emotional, and mental health.
One wouldn’t neglect important health issues, and they shouldn’t neglect their spiritual health either. A neglected spiritual aspect can be just as harmful as a broken bone.
What Are Some Examples Of Spiritual Health?
- Mindfulness – practicing mindfulness is important both in meditation and in everyday life. It can help with all of the below.
- Finding a purpose – finding purpose in life is one of the most important things that spiritually healthy individuals do.
- Emotional balance – awareness of your feelings and where they come from is a sign of spiritual strength. But one must be able to name them without letting them take over.
- Explaining your beliefs – those who follow blindly and are unable to explain why they do what they do or why they believe what they do are often spiritually weak.
- Care for our planet and people – it’s important to care for the planet and everything on it. If you haven’t taken the time to do this, doing so will improve your spiritual health.
- Forgiveness – forgive everyone in your life and let go of the hurt. You will notice spiritual wellness in someone who has done this.
- Compassion – compassion is an often-neglected trait that can do wonders for your health. This includes compassion for yourself and others.
What is a Spiritual Awakening?
A spiritual awakening is something many people may experience in their lifetime. It is a quick and spontaneous occurrence of spiritual transcendence.
If you feel yourself rise above your mortal self and understand your spiritual self in a way similar to an epiphany, you may be having a spiritual awakening.
Blue Jay Spiritual Meaning
The blue jay is a special bird that represents a variety of things. But they are always confident and active birds.
If you feel a spiritual connection to the blue jay, it could represent your inner confidence and adeptness at communication.
Spiritual sex is natural and sacred. A far cry from what many religious organizations teach about sex. But spiritual sexuality is more than just sex, it’s about finding your whole self and getting to know that being.
Tantric sex – a type of spiritual sex – is a great example of how to connect with your partner on a deeper level.
Spiritual symbols exist in every religion. But perhaps instead of choosing one religion’s symbol to learn from, we can learn from them all.
The lotus is a generic sign of purity and rebirth. But in Buddhism, it’s even more important than in generic spiritual text. The flower grows beautiful and pure in murky waters, representing how we can remain compassionate and loving no matter our circumstances.
The hamsa symbolizes a hand with an eye in the center. The Arabic symbol is the hand of God. If right-side up, it protects against evil and your own negativity. If upside down, it stands for prosperity and success.
The popular Chinese symbol of Yin Yang is complex. Dark Yin represents the earth and femininity. Light Yang represents heaven and masculinity. Together, they complete the spiritual and physical universe.
The cross is a Christian symbol that represents the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It symbolized love, sacrifice, and forgiveness.
The mandala is a Sanskrit circle that means “circle.” It symbolizes the world in its perfect form, one free of anger, hate, and suffering.
Star of David
The Jewish star represents heroism and self-sacrifice. It is often a way to show pride in who you are.
The Hindi symbol of Om represents openness and unity. While it has complex meanings as well, it has become a way to honor connections with Hinduism.
The simple Jesus fish in Christianity was once used to identify oneself as a Christian without using words. It allowed those once persecuted to communicate secretly with other Christians.
The chakra symbols may best represent the whole of spirituality. There are seven chakras, each with a unique purpose. You may learn them all to find out your weak and strong points and which you need to unblock.
Spiritual Health Quotes
It’s a good idea to keep a few of your favorite spiritual quotes on hand for the moments when you need a refresher.
- “We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.” -Dalai Lama
- “Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind, and spirit.” – B.K.S. Iyengar
- “Awakening is not changing who you are, but discarding who you are not.” – Deepak Chopra
- “Sometimes I think there are only two instructions we need to follow to develop and deepen our spiritual life: slow down and let go.” – Oriah Mountain Dreamer
What Are The Four Aspects Of Spiritual Health?
There are four aspects of spiritual health that you may practice to grow spiritually. Don’t leave any of them out.
A proper lifestyle consists of being compassionate, taking care of yourself physically, and letting go of the past.
Connection With Others
Connecting with others who have your best interest at heart is necessary to live a spiritually fulfilling life.
Asking About The Meaning And Purpose Of Life
Never stop learning more about life and your purpose in it. You can never stop growing, and questions are always welcome.
Spiritual transcendence refers to a newfound ability to see things from a new and truer light. Transcendence never involves superiority, but rather a grounded feeling of truth and self-awareness.
How Spirituality Affects Your Mental Health
Spirituality and mental health are related. Those who are spiritually healthy may feel like they have peace and purpose in life.
They may have more self-confidence yet understand others better. Though negative feelings will still be there, they will be easier to control and understand where they are coming from without losing emotional control.
How Spiritual Health Connects With Angel Numbers
The Angel Numbers you’ve been seeing may be trying to tell you something about your spiritual health.
If you want to know if the Angel Number refers to your spiritual health, then attempt to connect to it. You may feel a non-physical or mental connection that is difficult to explain. This means that the Angel Number’s meaning is connected to your spirituality.
What Is The Difference Between Mental And Spiritual Health?
Mental health is studied by professionals in the field of psychology. But spiritual health is something that runs deeper. Though they are connected, they also have their own spots in your well-being.
What Does The Bible Say About Physical And Spiritual Health?
The Bible speaks about doing all things you do for the glory of God and that your physical body on earth is temporary. The former holds true to spiritual health. Spiritual health is more important to God than physical health as it affects every other type of health.
Spiritual health should be a priority in your life. You can improve it with small practices and paying attention to your spiritual needs.
While mental and physical health are important, when spiritual health takes precedence, you may find the others following suit.
This doesn’t mean neglecting your mental or physical health. But rather to give your entire self the care that you deserve, even the parts you can’t see.