Lantern Parade to the River in Sandy Springs #TakeItToTheRiver
The 2nd annual Sandy Springs Lantern Parade will be this Saturday, June 10 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The parade will start at Steel Canyon Golf Club and end at Morgan Falls Overlook Park. Chantelle Rytter, creator of the very successful Beltline, Grant Park and Decatur Lantern Parades, produces Sandy Springs’ unique “Take It to the River” Lantern Parade. This year, Chantelle will introduce two new swan lanterns known as Lilly and Billy for guests to enjoy. The swans, Lilly and Billy, will join last year’s Alice, the 25-foot albino alligator, Big Mama Sandy, the turtle, and Jeremiah, the bullfrog, accompanied by his lilies.
To walk in the parade, please arrive at Steel Canyon Golf Club beginning at 8 p.m. The parade will step off at 9 p.m. The parade is free and anyone is welcome to join the parade or watch.
Highlights & Photo/Filming Opportunities:
- Line Up: People getting ready to start parading, and family and group shot options at Steel Canyon Golf Club (8:00 – 9:00 p.m.)
- Long Shot: At the bottom of the hill where parade participants can be seen coming downhill on Morgan Falls Road (9:15 – 9:30 p.m.)
- River Overlook Shot: High Country Outfitters paddlers escort lanterns onto Chattahoochee River for floating light display (9:45 p.m.)
- Post-Parade Celebration: Floating lantern display and Black Sheep Ensemble band performs (9:45 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.)
- Onsite Interviewees: Rusty Paul, Mayor of Sandy Springs, Jennifer Cruce, Executive Director of Visit Sandy Springs and Chantelle Rytter, Lantern Parade Producer (available from 8:00 – 8:45 p.m. and after floating lanterns are launched)
Top Line Run of Show Items:
- 5-7:30 p.m.: Large lantern set-up at Steel Canyon
- 8:00 p.m.: Participants & spectators
gather at Steel Canyon
- 8:45 p.m.: Mayor Rusty Paul welcomes parade
- 9 p.m.: Chantelle Rytter starts parade with Black Sheep Ensemble playing in the lead
- 9:45 p.m.: Floating lantern display and Black Sheep Ensemble continues to play
- 10:30 p.m.: Floating lantern and band finish
- 11 p.m.: Event ends
- General Admission Parking:
- Free parking is available at the Old World Pay Building and Sandy Springs City Hall. After the parade, limited shuttle service will be available from Steel Canyon Golf Club to these lots.
- Parking is also available at North Springs United Methodist Church for $5.00 (Includes shuttle to Steel Canyon Golf Club), with that money used to support NSUMC outreach programs.
- All parking lots are a short walk to Steel Canyon Golf Club, and everyone is encouraged to use comfortable walking shoes.
- TV Truck Parking:
- Steel Canyon Golf Club: 460 Morgan Falls Rd, Sandy Springs, GA 30350 – Call Brianna Evans at 770-778-8002 to confirm interviews and parking.
- Stay Updated: Check the Lantern Parade on Facebook for day-of updates and news.
Follow on Social: